Sunday, October 18, 2015

Gordy Hoffman @vigiledelfuoco of @BlueCatPictures #Scriptchat Transcript - October 18, 2015

Gordy Hoffman @vigiledelfuoco of @BlueCatPictures - Integrity & Judging Screenplay Contests @zacsanford moderating.

Read the transcript below or on the Storify site.

Gordy Hoffman @vigiledelfuoco of @BlueCatPictures #Scriptchat Transcript - October 18, 2015

Gordy Hoffman @vigiledelfuoco of @BlueCatPictures #Scriptchat Transcript - October 18, 2015

Gordy Hoffman @vigiledelfuoco of @BlueCatPictures - Integrity & Judging Screenplay Contests @zacsanford moderating.

  1. Hello all, looking forward to chatting with you about the big frauds know as screenplay contests lol #scriptchat
  2. @vigiledelfuoco It sounds like a good way to throw your best material on a bonfire. #scriptchat
  3. We're here sitting quietly in the back of the room ... #ScriptChat
  4. @vigiledelfuoco Could you give us a little background on yourself to start the chat? #scriptchat
  5. And everyone, feel free to shoot your questions to @vigiledelfuoco... Hopefully I typed that right. :) #scriptchat
  6. I have two weeks to complete a term paper. Then I'm FREE! #scriptchat
  7. I founded BlueCat in 1998, I won the Waldo Salt at Sundance in 2002, I've taught at USC & UCLA, 2015 short premiere at Sundance #scriptchat
  8. @vigiledelfuoco What do you think is the biggest mistake writers make when entering a contest? #scriptchat
  9. My short is playing in Rio, Denver, Honolulu, Ireland and San Francisco in the next month/ #scriptchat
  10. Not emotional. RT @zacsanford2: @vigiledelfuoco What do you think is the biggest mistake writers make when entering a contest? #scriptchat
  11. Not emotional, no clarity, untruthful RT @LCrawford910: @vigiledelfuoco Q: What are your top 3 reasons for passing on a script? #scriptchat
  12. @vigiledelfuoco Why do you feel comedy, horror and thrillers don't do too well in most contest? #scriptchat
  13. @zacsanford2 @vigiledelfuoco Actually that's not true, at least for BlueCat. We have horror, thrillers and comedies place. #scriptchat
  14. @vigiledelfuoco Q: If a writer's coverage has more "fair" categories vs. passes, how do you recommend they proceed? #scriptchat
  15. @vigiledelfuoco @zacsanford2 Curious about increased visibility for winners. Would you say most go on to see success post win? #scriptchat
  16. @zacsanford2 @vigiledelfuoco It's the least represented genre in the submissions and lesser of them? I don't know. #Horror #scriptchat
  17. @rachlanger @vigiledelfuoco @zacsanford2 Our winner Kimi Howl Lee was signed by Industry right after win. So she's happy. #scriptchat
  18. @rachlanger @vigiledelfuoco @zacsanford2 It took awhile but BlueCat has track record and the industry requests all winners. #scriptchat
  19. @vigiledelfuoco Also to give yourself more characters, you can remove your twitter handle and others that not responding too. #scriptchat
  20. @SarahAlexis4 @vigiledelfuoco We do interviews/table readings. At this point, if you're winner or finalist, industry will read. #scriptchat
  21. Curious as to the number of entrants this year outside US, UK? #scriptchat
  22. Basically, that criteria make a script a better fit for the contest route rather than being shopped? #scriptchat
  23. @blueneumann It's the same! If you make your reader have an emotional experience, you win. Feels win. #scriptchat
  24. @vigiledelfuoco @zacsanford2 speaking of genres, which have been the most successful in your competition and why? #scriptchat
  25. @AB2screenwriter Seriously. Write a great script. Genre second guessing with contests is not necessary. #scriptchat
  26. @vigiledelfuoco I hate the term "The feels." I see it as a buzzword and represents cheap, emotional manipulation. #scriptchat
  27. If your question is skipped, please feel free to resubmit it as sometimes the chat goes too fast. But give our guest a minute. #scriptchat
  28. @vigiledelfuoco Rather then instilling a genuine emotional response through storytelling. #scriptchat
  29. @vigiledelfuoco My apologies, I'll rephrase. How do you get a reader emotionally connect to content they know nothing about? #scriptchat
  30. @Al_1701 It's what the kids call emotions, that's all. Sorry to confuse #scriptchat
  31. Do you see a preference for plot-driven or character-driven scripts? #scriptchat
  32. @vigiledelfuoco It's a term I've come to detest because it's used to gush over some really manipulative tripe in some circles. #scriptchat
  33. @SarahAlexis4 Many rewrites. Many. Original voices. Made me feel. Laugh, cry. #scriptchat
  34. @vigiledelfuoco Thanks! :) Some people don't see to think so, but I certainly agree with you. #scriptchat
  35. @LCrawford910 Like I didn't know anything about #12years but that was a masterpiece because I was crushed for him. #scriptchat
  36. @LisaGProsek I guess if there's no internal journey for character, that's plot driven? God who cares haha. #scriptchat
  37. @vigiledelfuoco "I guess if there's no internal journey for character..." Agreed, for sure! #scriptchat
  38. @vigiledelfuoco What should writers be wary of when entering any contests out there? #scriptchat
  39. Screenwriting seminar in LA in overtime. Will have to get the #scriptchat transcript.
  40. @zacsanford2 Do they read your entire script? Do they have a track record with industry? Who hires the readers? #scriptchat
  41. Do you know who hires the readers? What are their qualifications? How do you know they read your entire script? #scriptchat
  42. @vigiledelfuoco Those are great things for writers to worry about, but how would they find out this info? #scriptchat
  43. This scriptchat is about transparency! Let's discuss how we make you feel like your submission is being judged fairly! #scriptchat
  44. @vigiledelfuoco No contest is going to admit that they don't read the whole script. #scriptchat
  45. @zacsanford2 Ask the competitions in a public forum like twitter or facebook I guess ? #scriptchat
  46. Understandable. I'm working with an ancient way of life never explored in film, with a AFAM female lead. @vigiledelfuoco #scriptchat
  47. @vigiledelfuoco is there anything preventing one tired reader on a bad day scuttling your score? #scriptchat
  48. @vigiledelfuoco I've never asked since I don't enter contest, but if I ran one, would I admit that scripts went unread? Nope. #scriptchat
  49. The coverage received passed on the dialog & tone. I just didn't understand how they could judge that not knowing the culture. #scriptchat
  50. Anywho, I appreciate the notes. Back to the drawing board! #scriptchat
  51. @LCrawford910 It's your responsibility to make that work, Sanaa! You have to make it clear, and you can! #scriptchat
  52. No. #fucked RT @scottcreynolds: @vigiledelfuoco is there anything preventing one tired reader on a bad day scuttling your score? #scriptchat
  53. For me, feedback for both my submissions were constructive. After all, we can't always expect to be told what to do! :) #scriptchat
  54. @vigiledelfuoco @scottcreynolds Hence why winning a contest is partially luck of the reader mixed with raw talents. #scriptchat
  55. @scottcreynolds Don't you get tired? Everyone does. Everyone's human. But everyone tries to rock it when they're making a film. #scriptchat
  56. "@LCrawford910: The coverage received passed on the dialog & tone. I just didn't understand how they.... #scriptchat" just change readers :)
  57. @writeranthonydp @LCrawford910 No, change your screenplay. Are you going to move your movie to new theatr when they don't laugh? #scriptchat
  58. @vigiledelfuoco def, but I think people have a fear that they'll get the one guy who doesn't "get it" or hates VO or whatev #scriptchat
  59. @writeranthonydp :) I think this is one of those projects I should produce. I have others that are easier to digest. #scriptchat
  60. @scottcreynolds If you're a victim of bad readers, then what do you have to work on? Take responsibility for what you wrote. #scriptchat
  61. @scottcreynolds @vigiledelfuoco hopefully that reader will recognize their bias and do something about it #scriptchat
  62. @vigiledelfuoco Besides the feedback a writer can receive, what else puts your contest above some of the others? #scriptchat
  63. Generally people have more control over the fate of their work simply by working harder than the readers of screenplay contests #scriptchat
  64. @LCrawford910: I think this is one of those projects I should produ #scriptchat I've made changes. Thoigh I Didnt agree with everything.
  65. I get it! No bad questions! RT @scottcreynolds: @vigiledelfuoco @zacsanford2 no doubt! just asking the question that ppl ask me. #scriptchat
  66. @vigiledelfuoco i don't think i have been. you wanted questions about how people can feel they're being judged fairly so i asked #scriptchat
  67. I love you guys, thanks for all your questions. We writers have more power than we know. I hate digging deeper into my heart. X #scriptchat
  68. @vigiledelfuoco 1/2 Maybe it's just me, but I don't think, "maybe the reader isn't great." As writers we need to learn how to... #scriptchat
  69. @vigiledelfuoco Q: When is a script contest ready? How do you vet it as a writer? #scriptchat
  70. @vigiledelfuoco 2/2 ...use whatever feedback we get for our good and move forward. #scriptchat
  71. We have to take responsibility for our own work more. There are no gatekeepers! We hold the keys. It's on us. #scriptchat
  72. @scottcreynolds: Writing is a scary place. We all have the same questions, whether we pose them or not. :) #scriptchat
  73. Only 15 minutes left... Get those questions in to @vigiledelfuoco regarding screenplay Contests. #scriptchat
  74. If it's the reader's fault, what do we have to work on? If it's our fault, then we can write. #scriptchat
  75. I am so late... sorry that I missed most of Gordy's chat (but we were on a panel together in Portland a month ago). #scriptchat
  76. Hi Bill! RT @wcmartell: I am so late... sorry that I missed most of Gordy's chat (but we were on a panel together in Portland). #scriptchat
  77. @vigiledelfuoco In grad school, instructors told me they couldn't see it. It's our job to put it on page then on screen. #scriptchat
  78. Please ask me more questions, don't be scared, I'm as scared as you are when talking about writing, then I'm not. :) #scriptchat
  79. @vigiledelfuoco Besides the feedback a writer can receive, what else puts your contest above some of the others? #scriptchat
  80. One thing I do to see if a screenplay is ready is to read my 5 favorite scripts and then mine. Is one not like the others? #scriptchat
  81. Always enter Sundance, Austin, Nicholl, and any regional contest. Any state contest. #scriptchat
  82. What are some other contests that helped you move forward as a writer? #scriptchat
  83. If contests read your scripts, hell, tell the entrants what they think. Why not! #scriptchat
  84. @vigiledelfuoco Biggest piece of advice that you'd give writers that are wanting to enter a screenwriting contest? #scriptchat
  85. .@vigiledelfuoco Me too. It was not as good as BlueCat Screenplay. I loved my reader there. #scriptchat
  86. @ZotBakingCo Thank you Linda, Nicholl will get stronger, it took us years to get our shit together lol #scriptchat
  87. @zacsanford2 @vigiledelfuoco Don't. Take the notes you keep ignoring, write another draft and save the entry fee for pizza. XX #scriptchat
  88. Don't. Save $ for pizza RT @zacsanford2: Biggest piece of advice you'd give writers wanting to enter a screenwriting contest? #scriptchat
  89. #scriptchat oops a spelling mistake. Good I'm not writing a screenplay. :)
  90. @writeranthonydp As someone who has read thousands of scripts, if you have me hooked, I don't notice typos/grammar errors. #scriptchat
  91. Please challenge all competitions to be transparent about their judging. #scriptchat
  92. @vigiledelfuoco I could give a public list of contests to avoid based on their judging, but don't want to be sued. :) #scriptchat
  93. I want to thank @vigiledelfuoco for being here tonight. Give 'em a follow and keep rewriting those scripts! #scriptchat
  94. I love writers and I love teaching and I thank Zac and Scriptchat for having me on. I will always answer any questions. I hope #scriptchat
  95. @vigiledelfuoco Thanks for being here. Truly appreciate it and your love for helping writers. #scriptchat
  96. I helped tonight! Please work hard to share your most personal stories with us, they become blockbusters! #scriptchat
  97. Anyone in LA interested in seeing Gordy's @DogBowlMovie this Fri in North Hollywood? We may have a few free tix for #scriptchat writers!
  98. Writing is always more important than entering contests! Keep up your relationship with yourself and your instrument. X #scriptchat
  99. You're welcome, Sarah! RT @SarahAlexis4: @vigiledelfuoco Thanks for being here and fielding our questions #scriptchat

No comments:

Post a Comment